Thursday, November 17, 2011

Exciting things and return to the mats!!

Roxie Addison Bair
It has been well over a month since my last blog entry, mainly because back on October 7 at 11:54am I became a father to a beautiful 6lb 15oz baby girl named Roxie Addison Bair.

I was one proud daddy, little did I know how much my life would change over the next couple of days, weeks, and forever. My priorities went from Crossfit and Jiu Jitsu to trying to change her diaper with out waking her up.


Like I said, no working out for a month and no Jiu Jitsu!!! A Month!!! I took two weeks off of work and found myself staying up all night with the baby,  eating cheetos, drinking soda, and watching TV. Once I went back to work my eating habits followed, and I am slowly slipping back into the clutches of honey buns and cinnamon rolls.

After sitting around and finally getting little Roxie and gaining about 10 lbs, I finally had a chance to go do some no gi one Sunday afternoon. There was a big turnout, which is unusual for a Sunday No gi session, and I was a little nervous to get back to the mats. We decided to do 10 rounds with a 5 minute time limit and 30 second rest.

Everyone grabbed a partner, and I obviously was still in some sort of hot pocket induced haze. I realized that the only person that was left to roll with at the beginning was Brian, an awesome practitioner, with a lot of credentials. I immediately charged in thinking I had the same conditioning that I had a month prior, but needless to say I was wrong. That was the longest five minutes of my life and I held back wanting to throw up several times.

Needless to say, the next 9 rounds I paced myself as I ran the gauntlet and tried to fumble my way through the rest of my skilled friends. I ended up taking a water break every time between rounds, and the only other time I did that was when I first started. I almost went through a gallon of water, and felt like I sweated out 4 gallons.

I was not surprised to see how big of a hit my conditioning took in a months time. After my Sunday baptismal  by fire return to the mats, I started to wonder will I ever get my wind back, or be able to develop a routine that I can enjoy Crossfit and Jiu Jitsu again.

It may not be right away, but I am sure I will be back in shape or maybe even better once things get settled down around here. As for right now, I am just going to enjoy life, and enjoy spending time with my new baby girl.
First Bottle!!




No comments:

Post a Comment