Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dear Diary

I know I should have started several months ago, but like anything else in life I procrastinate until I feel guilty about it.

I need to start a training journal to keep techniques and other information in, but I have been struggling on how to lay out the notes and other aspects of the training. I have read several blogs and posts on training journals, but I have not had much success it determining a good method. I am positive everyone takes notes different, and each person has their individual styles that work for them.

The biggest area that I am struggling with most is listing the detail of the techniques covered in class. I did make some attempts at it, but I struggle with the detail of description. I listed them in a 1, 2, 3 fashion. For Example:
1) Grab Gi sleeve with opposite hand
2)While in guard use your legs and pull opponent down breaking posture and trapping arm
3)With arm trapped, reach around with free arm and grasp opposite shoulder of gi and pull down to secure arm

So the gauntlet  has been thrown, the fat lady has sang, and I am going to draw a line in the sand and by the end of this week, I will have all the notes and techniques listed in a notebook from class this week. It may not be the most descriptive, but I have to start somewhere.

I would envision it to be like the Grail Diary from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. I want to be able to look back at it 5 years from now and be able to understand the techniques and be able to share that level of detail with someone interested in the martial art and drop some Sean Connery on them,"See here, Junior."


How do you guys and gals track your progress and techniques? Did anyone else struggle with starting a journal and how do you currently track your techniques and progression?  Please drop a comment below or email me at: abair1981@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment